Chainsaws are powerful and dangerous tools, therefore it is essential when operating and maintaining them that you have total confidence and expertise in what you are doing, so avoiding accidents.
Our two day chainsaw maintenance and cross-cutting course for occasional users* will provide you with the appropriate techniques and safety guidelines to ensure that you are not only confident when using a chainsaw but also aware of relevant health and safety guidelines making sure you stay protected.
*If you are using a chainsaw in a professional capacity it is recommended you register for our Basic Chainsaw Course NPTC City & Guilds – Qualification No’s: 00203/00204
Identification of the necessary personal protective equipment required, report on its condition and locate the various standard marks
• Identification of required safety and health features on a chainsaw
• Preparing the chainsaw for use with the correct fuel/oil mix and chain lubrication
• Starting the chainsaw from both cold and hot in a safe manner
• Carrying out pre-cutting safety tests and state the procedures if the chainsaw fails these tests
• Possible hazards/risks when carrying out maintenance or operational tasks
• Organisation of site safety and state the procedures required
• Identification of faults and defects on a chainsaw and cutting equipment and decide which the operator can remedy and which require a service engineer’s attention
• Select and identify correct tools to enable maintenance to be carried out and report on their serviceability
• Carry out all routine maintenance in accordance with the manufacturer’s instruction book and/or the Lantra Awards workbook
• Cross-cut timber accurately to required lengths
• Assess and explain the terms ‘tension’ and ‘compression’ in timber
• Adopt safe procedures to remove a trapped guide bar
• Handle and stack timber in a safe manner.